IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PARENTS: PLEASE READ!!!
Today it was brought to the school’s attention that a student in the upper grades brought a live bat to school. The animal was contained in a tupperware container, although at times the lid was removed. As always, the safety of our students and staff is our first priority. The school has worked in concert with Ashford School’s Medical Advisor, Dr. Ronald Kelly, as well as the Eastern Highlands Health District to ensure that appropriate measures and precautions have been taken to ensure the safety of our school community.
At this point in time, Ashford School has contacted the parents of any students who may have come into contact with the animal. Should any further directives follow from our school’s medical advisor or the Eastern Highlands Health district concerning this matter, further communication may be warranted.
Please take a few moments this weekend to have a conversation with your child(ren) regarding the importance of not touching wild animals. While we don’t want our students to live in fear of nature, it is important that they understand the risks posed by wild animals, such as bites, rabies, etc.
For more information on exposure risks for rabies, please see the following link: https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/tra
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the administrative staff at Ashford School.